The first half of 2013
Now the days are shortening again (‘it’ll be Christmas before you know it’, ‘what happened to the summer’ etc, etc), I see various pundits are offering their best of the first 6 months assessments.
When – like them – I stop and think, it’s been a pretty vintage year for new records. And I don’t like to miss an opportunity for a list.
My top ten, in the order I bought them rather than making any attempt at ranking, look like this:
- Yo La Tengo – Fade
- Black Twig Pickers – Rough Carpenters
- Billy Bragg – Tooth and Nail
- David Bowie – The Next Day
- Hiss Golden Messenger – Haw
- Steve Earle – The Low Highway
- Golden Gunn – Golden Gunn
- Kurt Vile – Wakin’ On A Pretty Daze
- Laura Marling – Once I Was An Eagle
- Tunng – Turbines
All available on vinyl and all well worthy of your attention.