Johnny Cash contest – We Walk The Line
**NOTE: This contest is now closed. Congratulations to our winners – William D Deveney, Al Henson, and Margaret Paul Edwards – and thanks to everyone who entered!
Johnny Cash has, unarguably, been one of the most influential singer-songwriters in the history of American music. Whether he was blazing up the charts, delivering classic country tunes, gospel, covers of contemporary American songs, or singing duets with June and others. . . Cash’s career has moved countless artists and fans of all styles for generations.
The folks at Sony Legacy have released We Walk The Line, a monster live concert CD/DVD tribute to Johnny, featuring performances from Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Buddy Miller, Shelby Lynne, Brandi Carlile, Jamey Johnson, Carolina Chocolate Drops, and more. We’ve teamed up with them to give away this incredible collection, along with copies of four newly released Greatest Hits CDs (The Number Ones, Duets, Country Classics, and Gospel Songs).
We’d like to give away three copies of the entire package to three lucky No Depression Community members.
To enter this contest, simply place a comment on this blog. Tell us where you see Johnny Cash’s influence these days – whether it’s in the work of another artist, the way folks cover his music, or simply in the style of music that’s popular. If you can’t think of an answer to that, just tell us your favorite Johnny Cash song and why it stands out to you.
For inspiration, check the track and artist list:
1. Folsom Prison Blues (Performed by Brandi Carlile)
2. Get Rhythm (Performed by Andy Grammer)
3. I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry (Performed by Amy Lee)
4. Hey Porter (Performed by Buddy Miller)
5. Why Me Lord (Performed by Shelby Lynne)
6. Help Me Make It Through the Night (Performed by Pat Monahan)
7. It Ain’t Me Babe (Performed by Shelby Lynne and Pat Monahan)
8. Sunday Morning Coming Down (Performed by Jamey Johnson and Kris Kristofferson)
9. Jackson (Performed by Carolina Chocolate Drops)
10. Wreck Of The Old 97 (Performed by Rhett Miller)
11. Ring Of Fire (Performed by Ronnie Dunn)
12. Cocaine Blues(Performed by Shooter Jennings)
13. Hurt (Performed by Lucinda Williams)
14. The Long Black Veil (Performed by Iron & Wine)
15. Big River (Performed by Kris Kristofferson)
16. Cry, Cry, Cry (Performed by Sheryl Crow)
17. If I Were A Carpenter (Performed by Willie Nelson and Sheryl Crow)
18. Highwayman (Performed by Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Shooter Jennings and Jamey Johnson)
19. I Walk The Line( Performed by Full Ensemble)
Bonus Rehearsal Performance
20. I Still Miss Someone (Performed by Willie Nelson)
To add a comment to this post and enter the contest, scroll to the bottom of this page and type into the comment space. Comments posted in separate blogs, or via Twitter or Facebook, will not be counted. (Though, if you’re moved, you’re more than welcome to write a separate long-form blog post expounding on your comment here, about Johnny Cash’s influence.) The contest will remain open until 11:59 p.m. PST on Monday, August 20, and the winners will be announced the next day. Anyone is welcome to enter but the prize can only be shipped to a US address.