JEFFERSON ROSS: 10 QUESTIONS
1. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST RECORD THAT YOU EVER OWNED? The Beatles ’65. It was an American edition that wasn’t released in Britain. It was actually my mom’s but I wore it out so much that she just let me have it. The second record that was mine, all mine, was a Christmas gift…Rod Stewart, “Every Picture Tells A Story”.
2. WHAT WAS THE MOST MEMORABLE CONCERT THAT YOU EVER ATTENDED? A family friend worked for The Allman Brothers Band and he took me down to Lakeland, Florida, for a New Year’s Eve show in 1975. I met them all and got to play Duane’s guitar that Gregg owned after Duane’s death. That guitar is now in The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio.
3. WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? In Atlanta and Lincolnton, Georgia. Big town/small town. That makes for interesting song writing, I think.
4. HAGGARD OR JONES? Haggard for sure. If I could sing like Merle Haggard, I would try to take over the Earth. The Possum is fantastic too, of course.
5. BEATLES OR STONES? Beatles! Stones rock but The Beatles are the most musical band ever. Still cannot get enough.
6. CAN YOU LIST FIVE DESERT ISLANDS DISCS THAT YOU COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT? (a) Van Morrison, “Into The Music”, (b) Dave Loggins, “Apprentice In A Musical Workshop”, (c) The Allman Brothers Band, “At Fillmore East”, (d) Nanci Griffith, “Other Voices Other Rooms”, (e) Emmylou Harris, “Profile”.
7. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE? Tough question but in English, “To Kill A Mockingbird”, for foreign language, I’d have to say, “Cinema Paradiso”.
8. MOST UNDERRATED MUSICAL INSTRUMENT EVER? The pedal steel guitar. Hard to play too. Makes the sitar seem like the ukelele. Check out great country records with Lloyd Green Buddy Emmons, Paul Franklin, Tom Brumley, John Hughey and the like playing on them. Wonderful!!!!
9. FAVORITE FOOD GROUP? Red wine.
10. WHERE WILL YOU RETIRE? There is no retirement for the folk singer. We don’t die either. Our strings just go dead. My wife and I do love to travel to Europe a lot so, hopefully, somewhere there.