My Top Ten
1. Willie Sugarcapps
2. Amanda Shires – Down Fell the Doves
3. Jason Isbell – Southeastern
4. Kim Richey – Thorn in My Heart
5. Steel Drivers – Hammer Down
6. Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell – Old Yellow Moon
7. Randall Bramblett – The Bright Spots
8. Over the Rhine – Meet Me At the Edge of the World
9. Bob Dylan – Another Self Portrait
10. Mavis Staples – One True Vine
Yes, I’m a member of Willie Sugarcapps, but since it’s a band that has been saving my soul since we started, I had to make it number 1. We play this weekend. My soul will survive another week. Hallelujah. Amanda! Jason! Oh, Kim Richey…with the most gorgeous velvety voice of hurt and empathy and the songs are sooooo good. Steel Drivers! Emmy! Rodney! My former bosses are some talented folks, and they finally got together to do their harmonious thang. Randall! Oh lord the soulfulness. Over the Rhine! Double disc, and great through and through. Dylan’s latest bootleg series has scarcely left my player. Mavis. What to say of Mavis, but thank you for singing.
2014 is upon us, with lots to look forward to. Blue Mother Tupelo’s “only sunshine”!! Brigitte Demeyer’s “savannah road”! etc….