The year’s top 10…so far
Hello and welcome to my new column. Rowl Dylans american state of mind. In this first column I’m gonna share with you my albums of the year so far. In no particular order..not till the end of the year anyway.
1. Unbunny – Moon Food. Think Neil Youngs outtakes from the harvest period. Absolutely cracking little album. Only thirty-ish minutes but perfectly formed.
2. Drive By Truckers The Big To-Do. Brilliant band that have been going for over a decade now, this thundering album of more erudite hard rock in the vein of Lynrd Skynyrd really blasts you into submission.
3. Phosphorescent – Here’s To Taking It Easy. A brilliant album from the artist who has been around for about seven years but has only just broken through with his latest album. Once you’ve heard his latest you will want to hear more.
4. Arcade Fire – The Suburbs. Some discussion whether this should qualify as Americana. But this album is too good to leave out. A sprawling masterpiece which is reviewed better elsewhere on this site, so I’ll leave it there.
5. Band Of Horses – Infinite Arms. A band that has been superb for quite a few years, finally gets round to hitting the mainstream and gets it righT. really great album highly recommended.
6. John Grant – Queen Of Denmark. For years known for his work in the band the czars. John Grants debut solo album is simply stunning. “I Wanna Go To Marz” is a heartbreaking song, in a album of heartbreaks. Midlake are the backing artists on this album which leads us to…
7. Midlake – The Courage of Others. A superb fm Country/Rock type album which could easily hail from the seventies. Think a Eagles/Fleetwood Mac type sound. Classy stuff.
8. She & Him – Volume Two. Two great albums out of two is a great hit rate. This is the second album from the actress. Singer Zooey Deschanel and maverick alt country genius M ward.
9. Admiral Radley – I Heart California. This features artists from two bands the much missed Granddaddy and Earlimart and as good as anything from either bands. Sparkling idiosyncratic mix of Rock, Electronic and Altpop.
10. Blitzen trapper – Destroyer of the void. A great album from another band that have been around a while since around 2000 but have only just reached the mainstream. Wilcoish Altrock/Country.
Mostly about pop/rock music..but am trying to add my own americana slant.