Stream the album (Courtesy of the Wall Street Journal, ATO Records & Soundcloud)
The 1980s is generally considered to be Dylan's lost decade, when many die hard fans lost faith, and is now in the midst of a revisionist revival. Coming just a week or so after the re-release of the 30th Anniversary Madison Square Garden extravaganza that featured his contemporaries, this collection offers up recent indie artists who pretty much either run through songs we had barely listened to in the first place, or give deliberate renditions meant to cement Bobby's street cred among the Starbucks crowd.
Either way, it's interesting hit or miss listening. Think of it as a soundtrack to "Girls."
Since this is Volume One, we can expect more volumes to come. Maybe even a bootleg series.
Langhorne Slim & The Law – Got My Mind Made Up
Built To Spill – Jokerman
Reggie Watts – Brownsville Girl (Reprise)
Craig Finn – Sweetheart Like You
Ivan & Alyosha – You Changed My Life
Deer Tick – Night After Night
Dawn Landes & Bonnie “Prince” Billie – Dark Eyes
Tea Leaf Green – Waiting To Get Beat
Aaron Freeman & Slash – Wiggle Wiggle
Elvis Perkins – Congratulations
Hannah Cohen – Covenant Woman
Marco Benevento – Every Grain of Sand
Yellowbirds – Series of Dreams
Blitzen Trapper – Unbelievable
Lucius – When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky
Glen Hansard – Pressing On
Carl Broemel – Death Is Not The End
1) Spirit Family Reunion – “Man Of Peace” (from Infidels, 1983)
2) Widespread Panic – “Solid Rock” (from Saved, 1980)
3) Grayson Capps – “Silvio” (from Down In The Groove, 1988)
4) Neal Casal – “Property Of Jesus” (from Shot Of Love, 1981)
5) The Low Anthem – “Lenny Bruce” (from Shot Of Love, 1981)
6) Jesse Elliott (These United States) – “Handy Dandy” (from Under The Red Sky, 1990)
7) Chastity Brown – “Saving Grace” (from Saved, 1980)
It is my understanding that the bonus tracks will only be available via a deluxe set from iTunes.