Hi there … and welcome to Mountain Mama’s Earth Music … and today the beautiful journey of steady love.
1) Stick With Me Baby, Robert Plant and Allison Krauss 2:51
2) Somebody Loved, The Weepies 2:41
3) Old Pine, Ben Howard 4:18
Continuum: a Love Poem
By Maxine Kumin
going for grapes with
ladder and pail in
the first slashing rain
of September rain
steeping the dust
in a joyous squelch the sky
standing up like steam
from a kettle of grapes
at the boil wild fox grapes
wickedly high tangled in must
of cobweb and bug spit
going for grapes year
after year we two with
ladder and pail stained
with the rain of grapes
our private language
4) 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, Reckless Kelly 5:30
5) Fidelity, JP, Chrissie and the Fairground Boys 4:20
6) Do Right Woman, Do Right Man, The Commitments 3:17
by Paul Zimmer
In southern France live two old horses,
High in the foothills, not even French,
But English, retired steeplechasers
Brought across to accept an old age
Of ambling together in the Pyrenees.
At times they whinny and kick
At one another with impatience,
But they have grown to love each other.
In time the gelding grows ill
And is taken away for treatment.
The mare pines, pokes at her food,
Dallies on her rides until the other
She is in her stall
When the trailer rumbles
Through the gate into the field,
And she sings with impatience
Until her door is opened.
Of sound and speed, in need of
Each other, they entwine their necks,
Rub muzzles, bumping flanks
To embrace in their own way.
Together they prance to
The choicest pasture,
Standing together and apart,
To be glad until
They can no longer be glad.
7) Sunday Kind of Love, Etta James 3:19
8) You’re Nobody Til Somebody Loves You, Dean Martin 2:14
by Douglas Dunn
It is summer, and we are in a house
That is not ours, sitting at a table
Enjoying minutes of a rented silence,
The upstairs people gone. The pigeons lull
To sleep the under-tens and invalids,
The tree shakes out its shadows to the grass,
The roses rove through the wilds of my neglect.
Our lives flap, and we have no hope of better
Happiness than this, not much to show for love
Than how we are, or how this evening is,
Unpeopled, silent, and where we are alive
In a domestic love, seemingly alone,
All other lives worn down to trees and sunlight,
Looking forward to a visit from the cat.
9) That’s Real Love, David Gans 3:34
10) Our House, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 3:01
11) You Can Sleep While I Drive, Melisa Ethridge 3:14
12) Witness To Your Life, Lori McKenna 3:32
Love Like Salt
It lies in our hands in crystals
too intricate to decipher
It goes into the skillet
without being given a second thought
It spills on the floor so fine
we step all over it
We carry a pinch behind each eyeball
It breaks out on our foreheads
We store it inside our bodies
in secret wineskins
At supper, we pass it around the table
talking of holidays and the sea.
13) Red Staggerwing, Emmylou Harris & Mark Knopfler 4:56
14) Into the Mystic, Van Morrison
Mountain Mama’s Earth Music is heard here on KDRT 95.7 FM, in Davis, CA and you can check out today’s play list, listen to the show or any of other great shows any old time by logging onto KDRT.org.
There is something deep and knowing, comfortable as a front porch swing, that comes from moving through the everyday journey of life together. A dichotomy of love … precious and ordinary at the same time.
15) September, Earth Wind and Fire 3:35