Let's engage in a little fantasy exercise; imagine that you are given a radio show of your own, with time enough each episode to play 10 songs.
What would you name your show?
What 10 songs would you include in the first episode?
That is so cool, Scott! I think I can come up with a couple of suggestions:
Old Crow Medicine Show: "Union Maid"
Tom Russell: "U. S. Steel"
Dave Alvin: "Gary, Indiana 1959"
Warren Zevon: "The Factory"
Bruce Springsteen: "The River"
Rod Picott: "Welding Burns"
Steve Earle: "The Mountain"
Show Name: Poetdro's Barn/Shed/Shack
First 10 Songs:
1. Wondering Where the Lions Are Bruce Cockburn
2. The Sun Also Sets Ryan Adams
3. Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down Kris Kristofersson
4. Mud Slide Slim James Taylor
5. Blood Bank Bon Iver
6. The Chamber of 32 Doors Genesis (Peter Gabriel-era)
7. The Face of Love Eddie Vedder w/Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
8. Sally Was a Cop Alejandro Escovedo
9. Rock and Roll Velvet Underground
10. Lincoln Continental Felice Brothers
name of show would be Booner Tooners
first ten tracks would be.
1 guy clark- dublin blues
2 chatham county line- chip of a star
3 sarah jarosz- queen of the silver dollar
4 reckless kelly- vancouver
5 darrell scott- you'll never harlan alive
6 jerry douglas version- the boxer
7 new grass revival- steam powered aereoplane
8 joe ely- gato del cielo
9 gandalf murphy- alice in space
10 nanci griffith- from a distance
robert earl keen- feeling good again
tom waits- big joe and phantom 309
Depending on what day you ask me I would start with these and I would name it today WINTER SONGS:
Canadian Whiskey Tom Russell and Nancy Griffith
Night Rider's Lament Nanci Griffith
Boots Of Spanish Leather Carolyn Hester
Thunder Road Bruce Springsteen
Christmas In Paradise Mary Gauthier
16th Avenue Lacy Dalton
Me and Bobby McGee Janis Joplin
Dimming of the Day Linda Thompson
If you see her Mickey Newbury
Christmas in Prison Prine
The Band Played Waltzing Matilda Liam Clancy
Mississippi On My Mind Jesse Winchester
Desperadoes Waiting for a Train Guy Clark
Closing Time Leonard Cohen
Choices George Jones
Just a Wave Not the Water Jimmy Dale Gilmore
"American Anthem" would be the name of the show. You can call it AA if you want!
1. Feel a Whole Lot Better (Gene Clark & the Byrds)
2. She Belongs to Me (Bob Dylan)
3. Whatever You Say (Martina McBride)
4. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (The Shirelles)
5. Tower of Strength (Gene McDaniels)
6. Can't Help Myself (Four Tops)
7. In the Basement (Etta James)
8. Concrete Jungle (Bob Marley) (where Jamaica gets dubbed by the South)
9. Midnight Mission (Carla Olson & the Textones)
10. I Broke That Promise (Willy DeVille & Mink DeVille)
Not too sure on a program name. Would have to contemplate and over think as that’s just my habit. After a quick scan of my itunes I throw out the possibilities of:
Down with the Shine
Hand Me Down Tunes
Considering I was watching the hockey game (Leafs win!) and am now late for calling it a night… I’m making things more complicated then they have to be. Removed JTE’s “Harlem River Blues” just because I spotted it on some of the lists I scanned. Trying to stick to a general cadence and going to have to remove “Old Man” (Neil Young) and Lindi Ortega’s “Cigarettes and Truckstops”…
…Forget it… Going to quickly shuffle them around and…
FIRST 10 SONGS (no particular order – just what stuck out for my mind tonight – tomorrow would definite show a different listing)
And as I write number 10, I realize I forgot to include a solo Ryan Adams song… Had one heck of a long day at work today and have a longer, harder one planned for tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what my list changes to tomorrow after some sleep. 10:33 pm but feels more like 12:33 am. Wanted a Bob Dylan in there... had "You Belong To Me" at one point... and "Farewell" at another.
Forgive me as I always blather when I’m tired… Only sometimes when I’m not… :)
CSNY - Carry On
CSN - Suite Judy Blue Eyes
Neil Young - Southern Man
Stephen Stills - Do For The Others
David Crosby - Music is Love
Graham Nash - Better Days
Neil Young - Country Girl
CSNY - Deja Vu
Manassas - The Treasure
CSNY - Find The Cost of Freedom
Show- An Occluded Front
1) Tift Merritt - Spring
2) Eric Clapton - Let it rain
3) John Martyn - Bless the weather
4) Aimee Mann - Little tornado
5) Nick Drake - Northern sky
6) Peter Gabriel - Red rain
7) Family - My friend the sun
8) Shelby Lynne - Rains came
9) Magazine - About the weather
10) Rodney Crowell - I wish it would rain
my first radio show would be called "i love heartache"
1. "Good morning heartache" Billie Holliday
2. "Crying" kd lang & Roy Orbison
3. "I never really got over losing you" Chris Wall
4. "It makes no difference" The Band
5. "Why does love got to be so sad" Derek & the Dominos
6. "Hurt so Bad" Linda Ronstadt
7. "I should have never started loving you" Marshall Tucker Band
8. "My love follows you where you go" Alison Krauss & Union Station
9. "Always wanting you" Merle Haggard
10. "Empty glass" Gary Stewart