Last night I saw the best concert I've ever seen, and I've seen lots of them, starting with Bobby Rydell at the local National Guard Armory in 1963. In between that and last night I saw Henrix, Stephen Stills, Cat Stevens, Janis Joplin and many more.

But last night we went to a small outdoor concert in Albuquerque to see Johnny Clegg, and I was absolutely overwhelmed by the entire show, clapping my hands off for an encore and feeling swept away by his music, his awesome band and the incredible songs themselves.

So, Johnny Clegg now ranks as the best I've ever seen live. Who would you put in that category?      (and, if you will, take a few minutes and check him out. I think you'll be amazed)

Tags: luckymudmusic.com

Views: 9813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Willis Alan Ramsey, Bob Dylan, Terri Hendrix, Rodney Crowell, Ray Wylie Hubbard.  More than one I know please forgive me.

Rick

If you love music with all the variety of styles, instrumentation, etc.........., and you've been listening, playing, or both the better of your life, then basically it's an impossible question to answer.  But it is fun just the same.

We have a scrapbook where we keep all the tickets to shows we have attended,  accept some of the early stuff.  It's as good as a photo album, for sparking the memories of concerts you may have completely forgotten.  It that 1960-70's  thing.  Steve Tyler reportedly said when asked about something that happened in the 70's " The 70's are kinda of a blur for me"

It's great to see all the folks that have responded.  I have spoken with so many people my age (65) and younger, that loved music when they were young, but not now.  Or  don't listen to music at all, never have, which for me is incomprehensible.  They think my owning 3000  plus LP's is crazy, and I am incline to agree with them.  It's just the way some of us are wired is my explanation.  Once, I heard someone say when asked; why as people grow older, do many of them leave music behind? He said it's because their heart dies. I think I agree. In closing I would say John Sebastian was right:  The Music Is The Magic In Young Girls Heart.  Music defines us,  tells us who we are, where we been, where we might go.  It's the sound track of the life;  at least for those of us with good  sense.  Sorry about going all pseudo-philosophical on you. I'm like the Scarecrow,  no brain, but I do have a diploma.

I'm 70 and absolutely must agree with all you say.  I wish I could have put it so well. 

I agree with a lot of what Michael has said. I have amassed a huge collection of all kinds of  printed and recorded music, LPs, cassettes, CDs. I've listened really closely since I was about 10, and have been playing music myself actively for almost 50 years. I have made lifelong friends through music and see no reason to ever stop. It is like breathing to me. I'm endlessly curious to learn about good new heartfelt music. It is how I get through this world, and it is fun. ;)  

My first big concert was the "Big Ape Convention" put on by WAPE in Jacksonville in 1966 which included the Beach Boys, the Zombies, the Searchers, Del Shannon, Leslie Gore and others.  I read recently that Tom Petty was also at that show and it convinced him to pursue music.  

There have been numerous great concerts in between then and now, but I just saw Todd Snider at a little club in Annapolis and loved that one.  When a bunch of folks were yelling out requests I piped in, as a joke, with "Play Free Bird."  I couldn't believe it when the SOB actually played it.  Damn well too.

When I saw the Beatles, it was in Jax at the Gator Bowl, and WAPE was one of the sponsors,  perhaps the main one.  I still have my ticket with the Ape on the ticket.  WALT radio chartered a train to take kids from Tampa to Jax,  The WALT Radio Beatles Train as I believe it was called.  On the train it was like the old Bill Haley tune:  13 Women And Only 1 Man In Town.  I was a  John and George fan, while the girls were strictly Paul and Ringo fans.  Those were fun times.  How were the Beach Boys?  I never saw them live, but all of the live shows of them I saw on film were pretty bad.

in 1963 the Beach Boys came to my high school and did a show in the gym...everyone seemed to think it was a great show

I loved the Beach Boys in 65, but, being only 15,  I wasn't too knowledgeable at that time .  I think I knew Al and Mike and a bunch of Wilson brothers that looked alike to me.  I knew more when I saw them in Denver in 74.  I recall that they tried very hard to replicate the sounds of all their hits and did a pretty good job of it.  But I always like something surprisingly different which never seemed to happen with them.  Very predictable.  I'm going to post some shaky silent home movies of the event later today.

Never saw the Beatles.  That would be memorable!  But I wouldn't pay to see McCartney or Ringo now.  Finally saw Dylan last summer.  Too late.  I did manage to catch Hendrix, Joplin, early Zeppelin, the Who in 1971.  Hendrix was tops.

No doubt,  Jimi was great.  The 2nd Tampa show ended badly, he walked off after 2 songs because people kept taking photos with flashes on.  Never saw Joplin, did see Zeppelin on the tour supporting the 2nd LP, and they were incredible.  Saw Derek and the Domino's with Duane.  My understanding is he only played Miami, Tampa, and Jax.. At the Tampa show, EC and Duane were dialed in.  The best version of (Have You Ever Loved A Woman) I heard the band do.  We saw Ringo last year, and the main reason I went was because Todd Rundgren was the musical director for the tour, and a friend of my wifes that gave her 2 free tickets.  I still think Todd has never received the acknowledgement, or recognition he deserves.   Ditto on McCartney.  Paul always was/is about the money.  Great songwriter and player, but always about the money.  The two best musicians in the Beatles, sadly are gone.  One last thing, I really dislike the two guitarist McCartney has in his band.  They are soulless automatons that play with the precision and warmth of a Dell desk top.

Okay, here's the link I promised you from 65.  Mind you it's horrible video, shot by a kid (me at the time) with low light from far away, etc.  But I can make out Al, Mike, and some of the Wilson's.  Could that chunky fellow singing backup in the two-shot be Brian?

http://youtu.be/r0xEy7hBfHo

FYI I can't mention the name of the band because YouTube kept rejecting my upload!

Pretty darn good filming for 1965 given what you were working with, a dark hall, and not sure what type of camera.  I'm guessing that the two guys at the mic are Brian being the closest.  He seemed to have hair that was always a bit longer than Carl's, and Brian was a bit rounder than Carl, who was on the other side of the mic.  Nice shots of Mike and Al.  You did a great job, very cool!

I saw NRBQ on several occasions, but two stand out.  One was at a packed club in Dearborn MI where they opened with Bruce Chanel's "Hey Baby," all New Orleans loosey-goosey, before plunging into a stompin' version of Howlin' Wolf's "44 Year Blues."  They had the crowd from that point on.

A couple years later, they appeared at Fort Worth's Caravan of Dreams (with the trombonist and alto player from Sun Ra's Arkestra!), and the crowd only numbered a dozen.  I felt embarrassed for them, but they soldiered on and gave a great show, with Terry Adams sprawling across a table while reciting the lyrics to "These Blues."

The Q were an encyclopdia of roots-based music, not to mention having 3 great songwriters producing future classics.  They are missed, but not forgotten.

RSS

Sponsors

If you enjoy this site please consider helping us with a small donation!

Don't like PayPal? Mail a check to: No Depression, 460 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108

When you shop at Amazon please enter through this search box and No Depression receives a referral fee

Notes

FAQ

Created by No Depression Feb 17, 2009 at 9:06pm. Last updated by No Depression Sep 24, 2012.