Doesn't have to be a great revelation. Doesn't have to change the year in music. Could be old. Could be new. Just has to do it for this week. So what is doing it for you this week?

Views: 94531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This week listening to...

Anais Mitchell-Young Man In America

Alabama Shakes-Boys and Girls

Twilight Hotel-When The Wolves Go Blind

Dave Alvin and the Guilty Men-The Great American Music Galaxy

Simone Felice-Simone Felice

Brendan, how do you like the Simone Felice?  I was really looking forward to it but the snippets I have heard have been disappointing.

Re: Simon Felice...I've been listening to tracks here and there as they pop up on shuffle, and so far I've really enjoyed what I've heard.

Also...Jenn Rawling....don't know anything about her, but every song I hear from her is excellent. 

I was slightly disappointed with Simone Felice's album as well but it's growing on me now. New York Times and Charade especially. Think it will only get better ( i hope !).

his stuff is great but did you notice the extreme similarity of one of the songs on the new album to one of his older ones from Duke and King?

think it's a grower though New York Times was immediate. Did help that I saw him live recently and the new songs came over really well.

I agree it's a grower - certainly less immediate than Live From A Lonely Place and the D&TK records.  I've been discovering new layers every time I play it.  Couldn't make the Londn show (despite having a ticket) but had seen the Bandstand Busking micro set Easter Sunday (see my videos for the 3 songs played).  Hopefully get to see them in a full length show later in the year.

this week: the lost bayou rambler's new one, mammoth waltz. i saw these guys for the first time at dba in new orleans during mardi gras & they rocked the joint. they're the new generation of cajun musicians lighting up the skies right now(along w/several other bands). it's exciting times down in louisiana.

Not a usual ND but I'm really enjoying listening to the Flaming Lips Heady Fwends Record Store Day release.  And no I didn't spend the GNP of a developing country on it; there are various video sources available via their website which I've managed to assemble into an MP4 version.

NORTH - bill morrissey

'Closer to the Bone'---KRIS KRISTOFFERSON

'Wrecking Ball'---BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

'Dedicated to Love'---LISA OLIVER-GRAY

I've been stuck on repeated plays of the wonderful Hello Cruel World album by Gretchen Peters. It is my first exposure to her talent and I can't wait to hear more of her work. Such a great lyricist!

Other albums I've been listening to:

- The Jezabels, Prisoner: A new band from Australia that sounds like early U2 fronted by Kate Bush. Some really terrific "epic" sounding songs and the recording is fantastic. Don't expect this talented group to play small venues for very long if this debut catches on in the States.

- The Koffin Kats, Our Way & The Highway: Bought this album after reading a rave review in Classic Rock magazine. I'm new to this genre of "psychobilly" but after listening to this, I want to explore more...it's great stuff. Kind of like the Stray Cats if the Stray Cats listened to a lot of Metallica and smoked copious amounts of meth before recording.

- Lost in the Trees, A Church that Fits our Needs: Band leader Ari Picker's mother was dying of cancer and committed suicide. This is his tribute to her. While that theme sounds depressing, this album is actually so beautiful you will be more inspired than saddened by the listening experience. Picker's voice is strong and pure -- somewhere between Jeff Buckley and Thom Yorke -- and his classical training allows him to create wonderful orchestral arrangements that never get boring.

- Warren Zevon, Learning to Flinch: A live album recorded during his 1992-93 all-acoustic tour, these performances showcase Zevon's guitar skills and awesome piano playing. Listening to this made me kick myself for never seeing him in concert. While I like his other live record with him fronting a full band, this is better and more intimate. The versions of "Hasten Down the Wind" and "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" are alone worth the price of this CD.

RSS

Sponsors

If you enjoy this site please consider helping us with a small donation!

Don't like PayPal? Mail a check to: No Depression, 460 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108

When you shop at Amazon please enter through this search box and No Depression receives a referral fee

Notes

FAQ

Created by No Depression Feb 17, 2009 at 9:06pm. Last updated by No Depression Sep 24, 2012.