Doesn't have to be a great revelation. Doesn't have to change the year in music. Could be old. Could be new. Just has to do it for this week. So what is doing it for you this week?

Views: 104512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been cranking the new Chuck Prophet record Temple Beautiful. It's my first taste of his music and it reminds me of the joy in discovering a new artist.

Congrats. I'd pick up "Let Freedom Ring"  (2009) next.

Can't go wrong with Chuck, especially enjoy The Hurting Business.  Haven't heard the new one yet, looking forward to Chuck's show here on Friday and hearing some of it live and buying a copy at the show.

I'm going to try to make the show also...

Another vote for gypsy jazz here (like Kent) ...indeed while it is not Americana, a whole lot of guys learned from Django..including BB King, and blues certainly is Americana, and a whole lot of us learned to play from BB...

Still listening to the new ones from Bruce and Chuck but also...

White Denim

Israel Nash Gripka-Barn Doors and Concrete Floors

Cary Hudson-Mississippi Moon

The Blasters-Testament

Green On Red-BBC Sessions

Two sneak peaks: The Shins, which I wanted to love, but am still in the courting stage with. We'll have to see about this one. And Justin Townes Earle, who casts aside the blues-folk thing for a phenomenal set of blue eyed white boy soul ala Stax 1966, with some Sam Cooke thrown in. I'm very impressed with the kid, as I've been since the beginning.  

Spent a bit of time the last couple of days listening to the new Rachel Harrington - Rachel Harrington & The Knock Outs who I'll be going to see on Sunday at Zeigfried von Underbellys in Hoxton in London.  This is a really good record and one with more bounce than a Nashville hairdo.

Another of the kickstarter projects sent out an early download, this time Hurray For The Riff Raff whose new record Look Out Mama slipped on to the hard drive a couple of nights ago.  A little smoother than It Don't Mean I Don't Love You and Young Blood Blues, but still right there with the edgy vocal and the raw playing.

I've seen the odd comment how the quality of new music isn't there this year; not my experience.

My Darling Clementine - How Do You Plead

Sublime collection of country style duets from husband and wife duo Michael Weston King and Lou Dalgleish backed by a select crack band of musicians.

Getting a lot of airplay on radio two hard to believe it was recorded in Chalk Farm not Nashville.

I just finished reading "I'll Be Here In The Morning: The Songwriting Legacy Of Townes Van Zandt". While I have not heard Michael Weston King, I am interested in his work after reading about him in this book.

The new Aimee Mann CD ("Charmer") is due out in the Spring so I've been catching up on old Til Tuesday and Aimee Mann solo records.  This week I'm enjoying "Welcome Home" ... "Anything I could have said I felt somehow that you already knew."

Didn't realise she has an album out soon,one of my all time favourite artists.'Whatever' and 'Bachelor No.2' are particular classics though she hasn't recorded a weak album in my opinion. Too long since she played Ireland too.

RSS

Sponsors

If you enjoy this site please consider helping us with a small donation!

Don't like PayPal? Mail a check to: No Depression, 460 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108

When you shop at Amazon please enter through this search box and No Depression receives a referral fee

Notes

FAQ

Created by No Depression Feb 17, 2009 at 9:06pm. Last updated by No Depression Sep 24, 2012.