Doesn't have to be a great revelation. Doesn't have to change the year in music. Could be old. Could be new. Just has to do it for this week. So what is doing it for you this week?

Views: 94448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Re: The new Jayhawks...I posted my thoughts over a month ago here.
I ordered it after hearing the songs live in London last month.  Having given it a couple of listens, I have to go along with the sense of underwhelmedness.  For me the Jayhawks are all about the twin voices and jangly guitars; what's on Mockingbird Time sounds unusually subdued but also seems way over produced.  And I think the embellishment here is the problem.  The songs are fine but the performance is lacking.  I'll see how it goes after a few more listens.  Perhaps they'll come out with a "Raw" version like Neil Young did with Living With War.
Don't disagree, trying to like it but hard to live up to the standard of their back catalogue..probably three and a half stars. Loving  Laura Marling 'A Creature I Don't Know' at the moment. .... might convert you at some stage RP N10!

I like Mockingbird Time. I don't think it will knock HTH or TTGG of their perch, but that's understandable.

As much as I love the harmonies of Mark and Gary, songwriting wise I really liked the direction that Gary took the band in after Mark left.

When Mark and Gary started working together again, I realized that their voices together was the missing component.

I don't think we should spend too much time measuring the new record against the lofty past recordings. Just enjoy. I will see The Jayhawks twice in November and can't wait to hear a fine mixture of the old and new!

Great thread! I've been listening a lot to a new artist named Erin O'Bryan. She released an album called "Trip to Horizon" not too long ago, and I've been hooked on it ever since I got it recently. Give her a listen at http://www.erinobryan.com .  I heard she will be gigging later this year.
The New Kenny Vaughan "V". "God Shaped Hole" by Chuck Cannon. aaaaaand....blast from the past....have just rediscovered "New York Tendaberry" by Laura Nyro (don't know if it qualifies as Americana, but that record is a gorgeous hot mess...been listening to it since i was a teenager and it still makes me feel like one...)

I am also doing Richmond Fontaine's "The High Country". I have to say, I really like the harder songs - "Angus King Tries to Leave the House", "Lost in the Trees", "The Chainsaw Sea". I feel like the band sounds great on these tracks. I hope one of these days RF does an end to end rock album. In the meantime, I am digging this one.

Also listening to Giant Sand's "Provisions". I am new to Giant Sand, and so far, I am liking it a hell of a lot.

Chicago Tranist Authority & the first BST record with Al Kooper - both classics

This week i,ve been enjoying the new Richmond Fontaine one , they have a remarkable consistency , top quality all the way.

As for The Jayhawks latest, well, there's a shocker ! I was expecting great things from this one , especially after the live show i saw in Glasgow. However, it's just not cutting the mustard at the moment.Getting slightly better with repeat attempts but a big disappointment. maybe my hopes were just too high in which case i'm gonna go through the same thing with the new Ryan Adams ? Hope not. heard a few from that one and it's shaping up to be a cracking album , maybe his best since Gold.

The Gourds - Old Mad Joy
Tom Russell's 'Mesabi'
I'm a super Gourds fan but I wish they would leave the religious tunes out

RSS

Sponsors

If you enjoy this site please consider helping us with a small donation!

Don't like PayPal? Mail a check to: No Depression, 460 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108

When you shop at Amazon please enter through this search box and No Depression receives a referral fee

Notes

FAQ

Created by No Depression Feb 17, 2009 at 9:06pm. Last updated by No Depression Sep 24, 2012.