Doesn't have to be a great revelation. Doesn't have to change the year in music. Could be old. Could be new. Just has to do it for this week. So what is doing it for you this week?

Views: 104695

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll have to check out this solo album.  I've never heard it.  I was supposed to see The Blasters a few months back in Phoenix, but the show was cancelled because Phil had to have surgery (his knee I think).  Turns out that Dave Alvin finished out that small leg of shows as frontman, but they just cancelled the Phoenix show.  :(

Americana Nirvana Internet Radio

Hadn't heard it before either.  It's nothing like the Blasters or his County Fair 2000 record.  On a few tunes it's just him and a guitar, very tastefully played.  The tunes with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band were as you'd expect, jazzy, bluesy, rollicking in parts.  Sun Ra's piano and band did this record great favors too.  There's a semi acoustic, slowed down version of Daddy Rolling Stone (as compared to the revved up version the Blasters recorded and play live). He varied his singing style here and there and on one tune it almost sounded like a guest vocalist. His ability to choose covers is well documented and his selections here make for a great record. Great roots music.

Great album. Had the lp and replaced it with the cd.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=41636

Renaissance Man

Jaimoe's Jasssz Band

Listening to Will Hoge right now. Just starting to dig into his work after falling for "When I Get My Wings". Hoping to find some more I like and if I don't... at least I have one new song.

Elvyn - early Crazy Horse meets Wilco

Hugh Cornwell - Hooverdam.  I saw him last year and picked it up at the show.  It just made its way to the top of my rotation and I love it.  Wish I'd listen to it sooner.   

A rare treat for the red eye tonight:

Booker T. Jones; The road From Memphis

Why is this man not at JazzFest?

George Jones "Mr. Country and Western"

Laugh Till You Cry- Terri Hendrix.  Terri is an amazing performer and songwriter.

Two new releases are knocking me out:

Ray Wylie Hubbard - The Grifter's Hymnal

Justin Townes Earle - Nothing's Going to Change the Way You Feel About Me Now

RSS

Sponsors

If you enjoy this site please consider helping us with a small donation!

Don't like PayPal? Mail a check to: No Depression, 460 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108

When you shop at Amazon please enter through this search box and No Depression receives a referral fee

Notes

FAQ

Created by No Depression Feb 17, 2009 at 9:06pm. Last updated by No Depression Sep 24, 2012.