Alright, I have some money burning in my pocket and would like some buying advice. I am looking for the essential country records that everyone should own. I am not particular to old or new I just want to buy some of the best.

I have some Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens and some Louvin Brothers. What other records/cd's should I own...

Tags: country, essential, music

Views: 4166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any Hag up to 1975 ?
You must be crazy mate : Back To The Barrooms , Serving 180 Proof and Big City are 3 ESSENTIAL Merle albums , trust me ..............
I would agree with any Hag up to '75 and then add the words "and after." The three you mentioned are absolutely essential.
nashville west ? wow first ive ever heard- was that something he did other than the blugrass?
electric?
thanks
Nashville West was a group he was in along with Gene parsons circa 65 - 66 (ish) , not certain on dates . he was also a session guy at the time playing on various Byrds tracks and Gene Clarks debut album(the Gosdin bros one) amongst other stuff . This is of the top of my head Ron , memories of a Byrds book i read a while back by Johnny Rogan .I honestly am not up to speed with Nashville West releases though so i'll have to check them out myself now !!!
willy and waylon clean shirt,waylon willy jesse tom paul the outlaws, white mansions waylon jesse and friends,ledgend of jesse james johnny cash levon helms emmylou harris paul kennerly charlie daniels and friends,mickey newbury looks like rain-san francisco mable joy-live at montezuma hall,johnny cash-the man in black.in my opinion this is a great start,but there is a never ending list and thank god it is growing every day.i forgot the nitty gritty dirt band circles or will the circle be unbroken is an absolute must have
Willie Nelson's Red-Headed Stranger, Phases & Stages and Shotgun Willie.

Newer: Hank Williams III - Stright to Hell, Wayne Hancock - Thunderstorms and Neon Signs , Grant Langston- Stand Up Man and Dale Watson - From the Cradle to the Grave.
Get a Jimmie Rodgers box set, read Barry Mazor's book and you're ready to begin.
Hank Williams-40 Greatest Hits

The best country music ever got

George Jones-I Am What I Am

The definitive expression of every dark instinct of country music
You can't go too far wrong with Johnny Paycheck - but avoid shitty cheap compilations.
Gotta add to this wonderful list:

Tex Ritter - Blood on the Saddle
Absolutely
No One has mentioned Kris Kristofferson.

RSS

Sponsors

If you enjoy this site please consider helping us with a small donation!

Don't like PayPal? Mail a check to: No Depression, 460 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108

When you shop at Amazon please enter through this search box and No Depression receives a referral fee

Notes

FAQ

Created by No Depression Feb 17, 2009 at 9:06pm. Last updated by No Depression Sep 24, 2012.