Any clever band would use every inch of the podcast and alt-country radio show discussions, but what would really be handy is a list of good bars that host alt-country bands written by the people who know.

So speak up! When bands come to your town where should they play? What bars should they avoid and why.

My area : North Texas

Dallas

The Double Wide
Adairs
The Granada
House of Blues

Fort Worth

Lola's Sixth Street
Lola's Stockyards (there's two Lola's)
Longhorn Saloon
Fred's (smaller outdoor venue)
The Moon Bar

Denton

Dan's Silverleaf
Rubber Gloves (RGRS)

and you?

Tags: bars, tours

Views: 3033

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

St. Thomas, Virgin Islands

Arts Alive Concert Series at Tillett Gardens

Hull Bay Hideaway

Latitude 18

Tickles

Starz

Western NC

Winston - Salem 

-The Garage

-Ziggy's

Charlotte

-The Double Door Inn

Raleigh/Durham

-Casbah

-Berkley Cafe

-Pour House

-Duke Coffeehouse

NW PA/ WNY

In Erie, Pa.- not much, maybe The Crooked I

In Buffalo, NY- absolutely no doubt- The Sportsmen's Tavern

I'm in Erie too....every now and the Crooked I has some good bands, and Docksiders does too from time to time. Erie could really use some more cover bands, especially 80s songs.

Just kidding.

Yeah, those '80's bands are great, aren't they? Never heard THAT stuff before. Erie IS pretty barren, Americana-wise. You should really check out The Sportsmen's in Buffalo. Easy to get to, pretty short drive and an unbeatable (!) line-up. Get there early for a good seat.

Here in the UK, more specifically in the North East we have either The Sage, Gateshead or anything organised by The Jumpin' Hot Club (usually The Cluny in Newcastle).

Before I did my prodigal son act and returned to Northumberland I used to enjoy some great nights at The Stables in Milton Keynes.

Something else to check out and very Americana are the gigs put on by Mike Trotman's "Empty Room Promotions" at various venues around Buckingham & Oxford. I've seen Buddy Miller / Hayes Carll / Guy Clark / Gretchen Peters and a host more at these warm and friendly live music events.

The Bay Area is lucky to have a few great sounding places.

Here's the East Bay (i.e. Berkeley, Oakland, Alameda, El Cerrito, Albany and more) run down of my personal favorites:

Starry Plough, Berkeley

The Freight & Salvage, Berkeley

Speisekammer, Alameda (kind of a special secret spot)

Armando's, Martinez

Art Beat Foundation, Oakland (non-profit that hosts live music)

Not much here in the California desert except for Harriet & Pappy's in Frontiertown.  I lived in Charlotte, NC for three years and just loved The Evening Muse and the Neighborhood Theatre in NODA.

St louis

Iam sure I am missing some.

Off Broadway
Old Rock House
Blueberry Hill
Lemmons
Stagger inn again (edwardsville)
VENICE CafE
broadway oyster bar

These are the main ones. I AM SURE I am missing some. Especially in the suburbs and outlying areas.

I can definitely see a road trip planned from this thread.

If you're on the I-70 tour a stop in Columbia Missouri is a good place to catch your breath and make some gas money. The University of Missouri, Stevens College and Columbia College supply enough college age music fans to keep a handful of music clubs cooking.

Mojo's

The Blue Note

The Bridge

The Blue Fugue

Roxy's

East Side Tavern

NJ:

roxxy and dukes

Asbury lanes

probably about it - lol

In the Washington DC Area, there are big venues and small. there are some that charge a lot, and focus on highly marketed product and some that are bottom of the barrel.

There are also a few where you can frequently see a great local band for free or very little (donations and tips accepted), and the music is fantastic, the people are amazing and the vibe is smoking hot! (Ask for Amethyst and tell her Cousin John sent you)

We also like JV's in Falls Church, VA (say Hi, to Lorraine), Hill Country Barbecue, and McGinty's Public house in Silver Spring, MD... via Chip Seligman at www.jamesturnerproductions.com

In Greenbelt, Md, a suburb of DC, stop by the New Deal Cafe, around 8 PM any night, and chances are there will be live music. And maybe even great live music, but certainly great music fans, who dance and sing and stomp their feet and buy the CD! and tip heavily when earned... Never been in a place more full of musicians, music fans artists, dancers, and lovers of music, just having a great time together!

RSS

Sponsors

If you enjoy this site please consider helping us with a small donation!

Don't like PayPal? Mail a check to: No Depression, 460 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108

When you shop at Amazon please enter through this search box and No Depression receives a referral fee

Notes

FAQ

Created by No Depression Feb 17, 2009 at 9:06pm. Last updated by No Depression Sep 24, 2012.